Saturday, March 8, 2014

What not to do when you don't know what to do: Part 1


This post is for all you entry level employees out there.

A lesson I learned from one of my business mentors, Jason Bull, when I worked for his landscape design firm in my early-mid 20's.

1 - Don't cross your arms
There's no quicker way to look like you don't want to work than by crossing your arms while everyone around you is pitching in to get the job done.

2 - Don't put your hands in your pockets
Similar to crossing your arms, but possibly worse. Nothing says, "I don't know what I'm doing more than standing around with your hands in your pockets. Pick up a shovel, saw, or macbook pro and get to work.

3 - Don't go into your shell. 
This is not the time to pull out your iPhone and hide away. The people around you need your physical and mental presence.

I go so far as to employ these ideas when I'm standing in line at the grocery store. When it's really easy to avoid social interaction and peruse Instagram, I can be on the look out for a way to help someone. By keeping my hands and mind ready and alert, I can serve others so much better.






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Kevin! I must also give credit to my work mentor, Roger Leach, who taught me to pull weeds on my feet rather than sitting down. Love your application to the grocery store! - JBull

    ReplyDelete